Sunday, September 25, 2011

It's a bake fest...

I have been testing a few recipes for a book signing in October at the amazing Kinokuniya bookstore at the Galleries Victoria building in the Sydney CBD. I was told not to worry about any food but of course my first thought was "what if people are a bit peckish?" 

Considering this is the state in which I spend 99.9% of my meagre existence, I disregarded this comment entirely and of course will provide a few necessary snacks for the kind folks who turn up on the night (hint hint). So far some fairly indulgent cookies and little individual orange blossom cakes with strawberry and candied clementines. These cakes are my bastardised version of the delights found at Black Star Pastry, if you haven't been there, bust your butt to Newtown. One word. Amaazing. 




I will never forget shopping with one of my best friends in the village in New York and we sat down with the store owners for some cookies and a sneaky shot (or three) of brandy. It was so delightful, completely unexpected and such a sweet experience that I dont think I'll look at the humble choc-chip bic in the same way ever again. I also racked up the credit card (and my girlfriend's) in-store at warp speed so perhaps my relationship with the biscuit is a little bittersweet....





Tomorrow more testing - wild willow and raspberry macaroons.
Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment